Jan 24, 2013

Give Me Rest

"Hey Dad, check your email. I shared a file with you on your Google Drive."

I had talked with my daughter earlier that evening already. She and her husband live out of state, yet we get a chance to talk regularly. In that conversation she learned I had been battling a severe case of the flu. You know, the ugly kind. That keeps you up all night, drains your energy, and makes it hard to do anything normal.

So I headed to the computer to check my email for her message. Upon opening the note, I was welcomed to a quiet, beautiful, classical music sonata. I'd love to tell you it was Mozart, Schubert, or Chopin, yet it really doesn't matter.

What I heard and saw was my daughter playing this piece of music with great feeling and a lovely touch. It was a gentle piece, soft, melodious, and very calming. After a weary, draining day of sickness, it was a very thoughtful, and very welcome message to end the day and calm my soul before retiring for the night.

Her action, taking the time to select such a peaceful song, to play it so well, and to capture it with her iPhone then send it to me as a video, wow. That was the power of love in action that made it special beyond words.

And you:  What do you battle? What makes you weary? What burdens you?

In Mathew, Jesus welcomes and invites us to come to Him. And he promises to give you rest. Take a moment in prayer today, to talk with Him. And listen quietly for that still, small voice of comfort.

Be encouraged by the Word of God:

From Mathew 11

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you