Jan 23, 2013

Unexpected Trials

6:45 am. Rise and shine. "The weather today will be cloudy, turning to partly sunny this afternoon. It's 9 degrees now, with a high of 27 degrees." "And off to our East . . . blah blah blah . . .

7:40 am. Got what I wanted, the forecast for a bright sunny day. Sure it's the dead of winter in the Midwest. That means it's cold. And cold's okay, you get used to it. Now the gray sky, that's another story. Makes it hard to have a spring in your step and a song on your lips. (well, frozen lips).

8:22 am. Arrived at work, it's still cloudy and gray, and the wind's a bit brisk too. That's okay, the sun will be out this afternoon, spreading a bright, warm glow over the barren ground.

12:34 pm. "Hey John, check this out"

"What?"

"Look out the window. Check out those big, fluffy, snowflakes falling like a blizzard on the Ice Planet Hoth!" "Hope you wore your Wookiee suit today."

Well, so much for a bright, sunny afternoon. This is completely unexpected. And boy will the drive home be fun.  NOT.  Another unexpected trial. Traffic will be crawling all the way home.


How about you? How do you feel when faced with an unexpected trial. And how do you react when faced with the unexpected? Now, who do you turn to? Who do you trust? The Psalmist turned to the Shepherd, to refresh his soul when facing the unexpected.


Be encouraged by the Word of God:

From Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you